Top of page. Skip to main contents. Skip to sub menu. Skip to main menu. Skip to footer.
Main menu.

 

HOMECompanyAbout MHICorporate OrganizationNagasaki Shipyard & Machinery WorksHistory: Nagasaki Shipyard & Machinery Works

History: Nagasaki Shipyard & Machinery Works

Nagasaki Shipyard & Machinery Works was established in 1857 as Japan's first warship repair facility, under the name, Nagasaki Yotetsusho Foundry.
Since then we have developed the two related businesses of shipbuilding and machineries, producing not only many of Japan's greatest ships but also a range of power generating plants and other machinery.
Today, more than 145 years of accumulated technological expertise are devoted to the cause of industrial progress, from the building of luxury cruise ships and high-speed freight boats, to the construction of high-efficiency power generating plants and the development of next-generation energy sources such as fuel cells.

Nagasaki seitetsusho Ironworks in the early 1870s
Nagasaki seitetsusho Ironworks in the early 1870s
1857 At the request of the Tokugawa Shogunate Government, a group of Dutch engineers with necessary materials and machine tools arrived at Nagasaki and started on the construction of the foundry, then called Nagasaki Yotetsusho.
1860 The foundry was redesigned as ironworks and renamed "Nagasaki Seitetsusho." The ironworks was completed in 1861 .
1868 The Nagasaki Seitetsusho, the ironworks, was taken over by the Meiji Government and put under the control of Nagasaki prefectural judiciary.
1879 No.1 Dry Dock was completed. (This dock was demolished in 1963 for the construction of new dry docks.)
1884 Mitsubishi Company leased the works from the Japanese Government. (Foundation: July 7, 1884)
1885 Akunoura Machine Shop in 1885
Akunoura Machine Shop in 1885
1887 Mitsubishi Company purchased the whole works from the Japanese Government.
Launching of "Yugao Maru"in 1887
Launching of "Yugao Maru"in 1887
1893 The works was renamed Mitsubishi Shipyard of Mitsubishi Goshi Kaisha.
1896 No.2 Dry Dock was completed at Akunoura. (This dock was later demolished for construction of Material Supply Center.)
No.3 Dry Dock was completed at Iwasedo in 1905.
1903 No.2 and No.3 Building Berths were completed. Nos.1 through 8 Building Berths were all completed by 1906.
1907 Japan's first ship experimental tank for R&D center in 1907
Japan's first ship experimental tank for R&D center in 1907
1908 Japan's first power generating turbine (output 500kW) was completed for the central power station of Mitsubishi Shipyard.
1912 Gantry crane was completed on No.1 Building Berth.
Gantry cranes were completed on all building berths by 1939.
1917 The works was transferred to the control of Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Ltd.
1923 The Electric Department of the works was company of Mitsubishi Electric Manufacturing Company, Ltd.
1934 Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Ltd.
was renamed Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
1936 Gantry crane completed on No.2 Building Berth in 1936
Gantry crane completed on No.2 Building Berth in 1936
1937 The foundry of the works was separated and renamed Nagasaki Steel Works of Mitsubishi Steel Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
1938 First turbine -generator unit(75,000kW)
First turbine -generator unit(75,000kW) for amagasaki No.2 Power Station ,Kansai Joint Electric Power Co., Ltd. in 1938
1942 World War ll battleship "Musashi" was delivered.
World War ll battleship "Musashi" was delivered.
1949 Tategami Shop in 1949.
Tategami Shop in 1949.
The emperor inspects the postwar recovery of the shipyard.
1950 The works became a possession of West Japan Heavy-Industries, Ltd. when the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. was decentralized into three independent companies
1952 The works was renamed as Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Ltd.
1957 Centennial anniversary of the foundation of the works was celebrated.
1963 Machinery Division production facilities modernization (assembly, machinery, and boiler shops) was completed.
1964 The three independent companies of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, decentralized in 1950, were merged again into one company under the name of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., and the works was renamed the Nagasaki Shipyard & Engine Works.
1965 Two 300,000-ton dry docks were completed as building and repair docks, respectively.
1971 Boiler-Tube and Pipe-Header Shops were completed at the Koyagi/Fukahori areas.
1972 Koyagi Building Dry Dock was completed.
Koyagi Repair Dry Dock was completed in 1973.
1976 Main office was completed.
1981 Coal Fired Boiler Shop was completed.
1985 Isahaya Plant was completed.
1990 Luxury cruise passenger ship "Crystal Harmony" was completed.
1991 Space Equipment Shop was completed.
1993 Electronics Shop was completed.
2003 Solar Cell Factory was completed.
2004 Wind Turbine Shop was completed.
Cruise ships "Diamond Princess","Sapphire Princess" were completed.
2005 Megami Bridge was completed.
2007 150th anniversary of the foundation of the works was celebrated.

Page Top